Whether it’s a big family gathering or a quiet morning drinking coffee by yourself, your dining table will play an important part in your daily life. Kitchen and dining tables are often viewed as a central element of the home and therefore need to be both practical and aesthetically pleasing. Use these expert tips to help you choose the perfect dining table for your home!
How big should my dining table be?
The number one rule when buying a kitchen and dining table is that they have to match your dining area. While this seems pretty obvious, dining tables are deceptively large and often take up a lot of space, both for the table itself and around it.
- Then use a tape measure to determine the length and width of your dining area subtract approximately 6 feet from each measurement to get an ideal dining table size. For example, if a dining room is 14 by 16 feet, aim for a table that is about 8 by 10 feet.
- Every person at the table will need at least 22 inches to 24 inches Table surface to sit comfortably on a chair and use the table.
- As with any larger piece of furniture, you should mark the rough dimensions with Painter’s tape to help you visualize how the table fills the space.
What shape should my dining table be?
The shape of your kitchen and dining table is just as important as its size as it affects how many people can comfortably use the table. This also affects the general atmosphere in the room. So choose wisely!
Do you need a large area to fill the room? Rectangular
- Rectangular tables are the most common as most dining areas are also rectangular.
- These tables can fill a room without being too intrusive and can easily be pressed against a wall when not in use.
- One disadvantage of rectangular tables is that Corners – They take up unnecessary space and cannot be comfortably used by guests.
Do you want something fine for a smaller room? square
- Square dining tables are a popular option for square dining areas.
- This is because they take up much less space than rectangular tables a more subtle and welcoming atmosphere.
- These tables have the same disadvantage as rectangular corner tables that take up unnecessary space. This can be a deal breaker when you’re short on space.
Do you need a lot of space for a party? oval
- Oval tables are ideal for larger gatherings The lack of corners gives you the flexibility to add more people to the table.
- They work incredibly well in narrower, rectangular spaces for this reason.
- However, these tables can be difficult to store When not in use, they cannot be conveniently pushed into a corner or against a wall.
Do you want something smaller yet social? Round
- Round tables are another great option for parties because they lack corners and there is no head of the table.
- you work best in square rooms, because larger rooms feel cold and empty with this smaller shape.
- Unfortunately you can lose some space to serve Once all of your seats at the table are determined.
What types of dining tables are there?
The type of table you should buy mainly depends on how much space you have in your dining room and how many people use the table on a daily basis and on special occasions.
Do you want something traditional? Firmly
- As the name suggests, fixed kitchen and dining tables have a fixed size and shape that cannot be changed.
- These tables are among the most popular models incredibly customizable, can accommodate a large number of people and is usually not too expensive.
Do you need to fit more people? Expandable
- Pull-out kitchen and dining tables are included ideal for smaller rooms that still has to fit a larger group of people every now and then.
- These tables use either Calls which are kept under the table surface when not in use, or “Wing” that you can fold out if necessary.
- Can get expandable tables quite expensive, Especially if they have complex expansion mechanisms in place, this may not be the best option for you if you are on a tight budget.
Do you have very limited space? wrinkles
- These tables are The perfect solution for an incredibly small living space because they can be folded flat when not in use and easily stowed away.
- Folding tables can only usually fit around 1 or 2 people, This makes them much more suitable for individual use than for social gatherings.
- Due to their small size, these tables can be used not only as kitchen and dining tables, but also as Desks and living room tables.
- you are very cheap, As a rule, however, they lack creativity and style as their main focus is on practicality.
Which material should I choose for my dining table?
A dining table is a big investment, so it needs to be sturdy and durable to be worth your money. You also need to balance your personal style with practicality and ease of maintenance.
Do you love a traditional style? Wood
- Solid wood is incredibly durable, easy to repair, and adds a touch of sophistication, making it a popular option for many households.
- It’s often the most expensive option, but you can opt for the cheaper one Pine, acacia and mango wood.
- These tables can sometimes Show scratches and wear quickly with regular use.
Do you need an inexpensive alternative to wood? Wood veneer
- This is the inexpensive alternative to solid wood, which is made from a very thin layer of solid wood glued onto a plywood core.
- Some people may not like this material for what it is much less durable and looks weaker than normal wood, which gives it a fairly cheap and sticky look.
Do you want something luxurious? stone
- Stone tables can contain Marble, quartz or cast stone.
- But this material is very durable can be porous and easily picks up stains.
- It can be near impossible to repair These tables and their price often run into the thousands, but this can be worthwhile for seekers a luxury table.
Do you want to stand out? Glass
- Dining tables made of glass can be made clear, frosted or tinted glass, and are relatively cheap.
- A good glass table can last for years if you are careful, though it can be incredibly easy to scratch, splinter or crack the surface, let alone glass prone to stains and fingerprints.
- These tables can create a feeling of luxury and openness in your dining area.